20 Business Truisms That Can Change Your Life
By Steve Tobak
- If you don’t know, say so. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, stop talking.
- Whether negotiation is strong or weak depends entirely on your goals.
- Don’t jump ship before you hit the iceberg.
- Anger is never about what you think you’re angry about.
- Confidence comes from success, knowledge comes from failure.
- A**hole is a subjective noun.
- If you’re miserable, quit and do something else. If you’re still miserable, it’s you.
- Success is based on current behavior, not past performance.
- If you protect your domain or CYA, that’s all you’ll accomplish.
- Thin-skinned people are actually thick-headed.
- People won’t perform for those they don’t respect.
- If you’re not passionate about what you’re doing, you won’t be successful at it.
- When you have problems with others, look inside yourself for answers.
- The workplace is about business, not you.
- Conflict is healthy; anger is not. Get some help for that.
- No matter how smart you are, wisdom only comes from experience.
- Whine and complain all you want; nobody gives a crap.
- You can BS others but you really can’t BS yourself.
- The boss isn’t always right, but she’s still the boss.
- The customer isn’t always right, but he’s still the customer.